[OpenStack Foundation] [Diversity] re: Diversity Workgroup APAC 2015-08-27

Alexis Lee lxsli at hpe.com
Tue Sep 29 09:37:45 UTC 2015

Lauren Sell said on Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 10:47:04PM -0500:
> Please review and provide any feedback before the Foundation staff helps distribute the survey this week:
>
> https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/?sm=Ju6YvZHHMOt%2bqvcrDczCC7KJ%2fy6YDf4koT9sM2cSqZ2ggvm1U7uH8CErqYzXNfKmlbDNU0gMLsP8ej5qguQyzWmuGzgO%2baI5VynQViJRCdI%3d

Q1: s/where/were/
I scrolled to 'U' (for UK) automatically, before having to scroll back
up to 'GB'.

Q3+4 are OK.

Q6: Maybe "What racial and/or ethnic group(s) do you belong to?". Bit of
a mouthful but it's more inclusive of mixed race. It's so hard to phrase
this question well when the whole concept of race is so simplistic :(

Q7: s/have you/you have/

Q8: I'd slice by 10 years above 25, just to limit the options, but this
is OK.

Q9: this is frequency rather than level of engagement but I'm being
picky :)

Q11: Is the word 'speak' prejudicial? Some people find English easier to
read and write than speak. Maybe "How do you find working in English?
Difficult / OK / No problem".

Q12: s/in OpenStack/in the OpenStack/
As an English native, this invites me to say "yes, it made it possible"
which may not be the feedback you're interested in. Maybe "Has needing
to use English hurt your participation?". Could say 'reduced' instead of
'hurt'.

> - I think questions #5 and 6 could also benefit from structured
> “standard” list. Of course, we would provide the options “prefer not
> to say” and “let me tell you”

For religion, this seems a good start. There's a clear boundary around
5% of world population. I was initially concerned "Chinese folk
religion" was a bit insulting but (from 2mins further reading on
Wikipedia) it seems to be the accepted terminology.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_religious_groups#Largest_religions

Race is much more difficult. I found the "recommendations" here
interesting: http://www.aaanet.org/gvt/ombdraft.htm

> - I took a stab at adding some reference points for question #9, but
> am open to feedback here. The 1-10 response seemed pretty subjective

I agree and I like your options. I'd just add "full-time". This question
seems to make any ATC-related question redundant, which is good.

Alexis (lxsli)
--
Nova developer, Hewlett-Packard Limited.
Registered Office: Cain Road, Bracknell, Berkshire RG12 1HN.