[OpenStack Foundation] [Diversity] re: Diversity Workgroup APAC 2015-08-27

Rochelle Grober rochelle.grober at huawei.com
Sat Sep 12 01:44:17 UTC 2015

Thank you Roland, for doing this.

The current discussion got me thinking about some of the underlying issues that categories like religion and geolocation encompass.

One of those underlying issues is calendar based availabity.  Perhaps we should ask questions around this specifically.  Here is what I mean:

Observant Jews are not available from Friday sunset to Saturday sunset
Observant Muslims are not available from Friday sunrise.
Observant Christians are not available Christmas or Easter, plus....you get the idea.

Geographically,
Chinese have holidays around both traditional religious holidays and various state holidays but also usually work the last Saturday of the month.
Most countries have Independence Days or special days for their hereditary leaders or celebrations of various winning battles.

All of these sorts of calendar restrictions feed into subtle or not so subtle discrimination, especially when significant community events are scheduled over significant holidays.

Food for thought and thought for whether something along these lines should be part of the current or future survey.

--Rocky