[OpenStack Foundation] [Diversity] re: Diversity Workgroup APAC 2015-08-27

Alexis Lee lxsli at hpe.com
Fri Sep 11 10:11:54 UTC 2015

Geoff O'Callaghan said on Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 10:33:32AM +1000:
> Hi all
> Is it just me or does anyone else find this a bit disturbing.  Surely the
> goal is to structure the openstack community to be inclusive rather than
> spending time prying into people's unrelated private lives so we can use
> the data as part of a science experiment.
> My religion or sexuality has nothing to do with openstack.

Your religion and sexuality SHOULD have nothing to do with OpenStack.
How can we make that the case without basic facts about our community's
composition? Information inevitably leaks day-to-day so simply
pretending our differences don't exist is unworkable and erasive (like
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisexual_erasure). There is a natural
impulse to flock with those closest to oneself and conscious monitoring
is required to prevent this causing an imbalance.

Alexis (lxsli)
--
Nova developer, Hewlett-Packard Limited.
Registered Office: Cain Road, Bracknell, Berkshire RG12 1HN.