[OpenStack Foundation] [Diversity] re: Diversity Workgroup APAC 2015-08-27

Roland Chan roland at aptira.com
Fri Sep 11 03:06:31 UTC 2015

This is very true, and nobody wants to know your religion or sexuality
specifically, and the survey mechanism is designed so that nobody will tie
the responses from the survey to a particular individual. I would also say
that inclusivity is not simply a structural issue. A structure may be
inclusive and but the behaviour of the population may not.

We do want to know the extent to which the community is inclusive, and
conversely the extent to which we exclude people for reasons that are not
valid. The plan is to do this by measuring the participation in the
community from potentially excluded groups.

The survey will not require a respondent to answer any of the questions. I
would simply encourage anyone who responds to the survey to provide as much
information as they feel comfortable doing. Some may feel that the
information provided may help encourage inclusion and diversity, some may
feel the opposite. Historically, both views have been valid at different
times and different places.

Should we discover that response rates certain questions are not allowing
us to draw useful inferences about the inclusivity of the community, then
we will need to determine other mechanisms for measure how well we are
doing. Input on this is always welcome.

Roland