[OpenStack Foundation] Outreachy: Call for Funding, Mentors

Lauren Sell lauren at openstack.org
Thu Oct 8 15:52:59 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,

Quick update on the Outreachy <https://www.gnome.org/outreachy/> program, including a request for funding and volunteer mentors. For those of you who are not aware, Outreachy helps people from groups underrepresented in free and open source software get involved by matching interns with established mentors in the upstream community.

There have been a record 30 intern applicants and 11 volunteer mentors for OpenStack this next cycle, which will take place Dec 7, 2015 - March 7, 2016. The OpenStack program coordinators could use a few more volunteer mentors, and there has been specific interest in Ceilometer, Cinder, Horizon, Murano, Neutron, Nova, Sahara and Zaqar. You can learn more about what is expected from mentors and how to apply here: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Outreachy/Mentors <https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Outreachy/Mentors>

Additionally, the Foundation agreed to sponsor five interns, but we could use some additional sponsors to help support the large increase in OpenStack applicants. The sponsorship cost is 6,500 USD per intern, which provide them a stipend for the three-month program. You can learn more about sponsorship here: https://wiki.gnome.org/Outreachy/Admin/InfoForOrgs#Action <https://wiki.gnome.org/Outreachy/Admin/InfoForOrgs#Action>

I personally believe Outreachy is one of the most important and effective diversity efforts we’ve invested in to date. We’ve had some amazing graduates become long-term contributors to our community. I cannot give enough praise and thanks to the program coordinators (Victoria Martinez de la Cruz and Mahati Chamarthy for OpenStack), volunteer mentors, and sponsors for making it possible.

Please help spread the word. If you are interested in becoming a mentor or sponsoring an intern, please contact Victoria (victoria at vmartinezdelacruz.com <mailto:victoria at vmartinezdelacruz.com>) or me (lauren at openstack.org <mailto:lauren at openstack.org>).

Thanks,
Lauren