[OpenStack Foundation] [Foundation Board] April 2 OpenStack Board meeting call for agenda items; Board packet materials due by Monday March 30th.

Roland Chan roland at aptira.com
Mon Mar 30 23:25:51 UTC 2015

On 31 March 2015 at 00:47, Rob Hirschfeld <rob at zehicle.com> wrote:

>>  Survey questions are notoriously ripe for creating false or useless
> information.   Let's figure out what we want to measure and then figure out
> the right way to collect the data.

​True, but mailling list submissions are going to be more subjective again,
and fairly useless at measuring progress over time ("Rants per second are
down 20% this quarter!"). Most disgruntled people silently disengage once
they reach a certain point, and for most people that point is before they
launch a public rant. Not all of us are Tristan.

So what do we want to measure? Broadly put, I'd like to see the Foundation
measure its own effectiveness both in terms of specific goals that it sets
itself and at serving the needs of its members. That can be decomposed as
much as we want, I'd suggest measurement at the following levels

- the organisation as a whole,
- the board
- individual Foundation programs or the various committees

These groups set themselves objectives and priorities. How did they go at a
achieving them, and how does the membership feel about that performance?

The elections provide a useful level of feedback of course, but in a very
coarse way.

Roland​