[OpenStack Foundation] [Diversity] Stats on diversity in OpenStack

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Tue Jun 30 21:49:27 UTC 2015

On 06/30/2015 12:36 AM, APlimpton wrote:
> I see that the OpenStack signup form asks about gender and location.
> When was the gender question added? When was the location question
> added? My concern is that if they were added recently that few records
> will have the data.

That form was added in February 2014 (see
http://maffulli.net/2014/02/05/tracking-gender-diversity-in-the-openstack-developer-community/
for some background)

> 2015 Metrics on Gender and Geography Diversity in OpenStack:
>
> 1. How many total active technical contributors (ATC) are there?
>            a. If I read http://www.stackalytics.com correctly,
> that would be 1316

The total count of individuals that have committed code to OpenStack
projects is 3,430 http://activity.openstack.org/dash/browser/

> 2. What is the total ATC breakdown by geography and gender?
> 3. What is the per project ATC breakdown by geography and gender?
> 4. What is the per company ATC breakdown by geography and gender?

All these could be calculated with some effort, using the data provided
by OpenStack members themselves. This data has not been made public yet
as it's not trivial to anonymise it. The Foundation has an obligation
not to disclose that information so some form of aggregation needs to be
done in order not to disclose accidentally who "the only transgender in
$SOME_PLACE_FULL_OF_HATERS" is (to give an example of what could leak).

In theory, one could develop an API on top of OpenStackID service to
expose such data in a safe way. The code that manages the database is
released on http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-infra/openstackid/
and APIs can be built on top of it using
http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-infra/openstackid-resources/

You'd have to enter in a formal agreement with the Foundation to get
access to the data for development purposes.

Once openstackID has an API available to expose not only the public data
of affiliation but also gender and geo, tools like
http://activity.openstack.org/dash/browser/ and stackalytics may add
panels to show progress over time.

Adding those APIs requires resources though. Maybe this is a task for
this group?

Cheers,
stef