[OpenStack Foundation] [Diversity] Stats on diversity in OpenStack

APlimpton aplimpton at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 17:14:52 UTC 2015

Core review teams! Thank you Eoghan :)

I would suggest any polling ask for the names of the people. We can then
match that against how the individuals identified themselves during signup.
We want the self-identified values over ones assigned by someone else.

The information in the company field is a useful data point both internally
and externally facing efforts on our part. It is likely populated with
company names, meetup names (maybe, we'd have to see the data), and
independent identifiers (self, none, student, etc). We are trying to grow
and retain diversity in the OpenStack community. That growth in diversity
comes from those three primary sources: companies supporting their people
joining, meetup groups that nurture and retain people and independents who
join without affiliation to a company or meetup. By looking at the
diversity info of those three sources we can evaluate how and where we
should be implementing goals to increase diversity.

The retention comes from making a welcoming and rewarding environment
inside OpenStack. Combining company field data with the other diversity
data provides some insight on tailoring our goals and programs to motivate
and reward in ways that are meaningful to those community members.

Additionally when we have data on companies, and possibly meetups,
consistently doing well at growing and retaining diverse teams we can
reward them -- award, panel at summit-- and/or ask what is working for
them. They can also be potential allies in workshops in regions helping
make sure material is language and culture appropriate.

Thanks!
Amanda