[OpenStack Foundation] First diversity working group notes

Roland Chan roland at aptira.com
Fri Jun 19 22:38:10 UTC 2015

Sorry I couldn't make it. I woke up, turned off my alarm and promptly fell
asleep again.

I notice the only Asian attendees were from Aptira. We're already heavily
invested in OpenStack Foundation workings and Kavit and Tristan are used to
these overnight meetings (and I clearly have some catching up to do)
through their participation in the board, which has similar scheduling.

I wonder how many people simply didn't bother because of the unfriendly
timeslot (4am in Australia, 2am in China).

I must re-iterate my earlier email: timeslots that are convenient for any
single geography are exclusionary. Meetings must be scheduled so that all
regions have a reasonable opportunity to participate and
discussions/decisions at meetings must remain open until a full cycle of
meetings has had a chance to process them.

I'll also re-iterate a point I made at the last board meeting: taking a
poll of people who showed up to something is a really poor way of working
out what the general population want or need. The results will only reflect
the needs of those who are engaged, whereas the point of the diversity
group is to foster engagement from those who may be excluded for some
reason.

Don't make this group an echo chamber.

Good morning!

Roland