[OpenStack Foundation] Follow up on Future of CLA and DCO

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Thu Jun 18 18:22:27 UTC 2015

Posting here about -
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/foundation-board/2015-June/000080.html
because that's a board only post list.

As the next board meeting is only a month away, I just wanted to
reiterate what I believe was said in the meeting, hopefully to be really
crisp about what's being asked for.

The Board has currently been going through the process of working out a
way that for people covered by a corporate CLA, they would not need to
sign an ICLA, which would simply their entry in the community. This
would cover over 90% of current contributors to OpenStack.

The suggestion was made that with such large coverage of the community,
the Board would then feel comfortable that individuals, contributing as
individuals, not under a corporate CLA, would be able to contribute
under a DCO model. I believe this was called the "Johnathan Plan", and
presented by Monty.

The TC representatives in the room (which was nearly all of us)
*strongly* desire that end state. The TC has previously formally passed
a formal resolution prefering the DCO over the CLA -
https://github.com/openstack/governance/blob/master/resolutions/20140909-cla.rst.
And would be happy to reaffirm that if there is any doubt that it
remains the current view of the TC.

The TC would like to see this "plan of record" voted on and approved by
the board:

Step 1: Remove the need for the ICLA by people contributing on behalf of
an entity that has signed the corporate CLA.
Step 2: Remove the need for the ICLA by individuals not contributing
under a CLA, because they are contributing on their own behalf (and
instead accept their contributions under a DCO).

It's ok that Step 1 happens before Step 2 for implementation reasons,
but we really want the go Board stamp that Step 2 is approved to happen.
And that sounded like it needed a formal, roll call vote.

If anyone remembers things differently, please respond. This has been a
matter of great interest by many of the TC members, me included, for
quite a while, and it seemed like we got very close to a real plan at
the last joint meeting, and don't want to loose that progress.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net