[OpenStack Foundation] Response to Sean Dague Question on CLA

Radcliffe, Mark Mark.Radcliffe at dlapiper.com
Mon Jul 20 16:32:50 UTC 2015

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 14:22:27 -0400

From: Sean Dague <sean at dague.net<mailto:sean at dague.net>>

To: "foundation at lists.openstack.org<mailto:foundation at lists.openstack.org>" <foundation at lists.openstack.org<mailto:foundation at lists.openstack.org>>

Subject: [OpenStack Foundation] Follow up on Future of CLA and DCO

Posting here about -

http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/foundation-board/2015-June/000080.html

because that's a board only post list.

As the next board meeting is only a month away, I just wanted to reiterate what I believe was said in the meeting, hopefully to be really crisp about what's being asked for.

The Board has currently been going through the process of working out a way that for people covered by a corporate CLA, they would not need to sign an ICLA, which would simply their entry in the community. This would cover over 90% of current contributors to OpenStack.

The suggestion was made that with such large coverage of the community, the Board would then feel comfortable that individuals, contributing as individuals, not under a corporate CLA, would be able to contribute under a DCO model. I believe this was called the "Johnathan Plan", and presented by Monty.

The TC representatives in the room (which was nearly all of us) *strongly* desire that end state. The TC has previously formally passed a formal resolution prefering the DCO over the CLA - https://github.com/openstack/governance/blob/master/resolutions/20140909-cla.rst.And would be happy to reaffirm that if there is any doubt that it remains the current view of the TC.

The TC would like to see this "plan of record" voted on and approved by the board:

Step 1: Remove the need for the ICLA by people contributing on behalf of an entity that has signed the corporate CLA.

Step 2: Remove the need for the ICLA by individuals not contributing under a CLA, because they are contributing on their own behalf (and instead accept their contributions under a DCO).

It's ok that Step 1 happens before Step 2 for implementation reasons, but we really want the go Board stamp that Step 2 is approved to happen.

And that sounded like it needed a formal, roll call vote.

If anyone remembers things differently, please respond. This has been a matter of great interest by many of the TC members, me included, for quite a while, and it seemed like we got very close to a real plan at the last joint meeting, and don't want to loose that progress.

            -Sean

--

Sean Dague

http://dague.net

Sean:

Sorry for the delay in responding.  You are correct that under the Bylaws, the Board has the responsibility for determining how contributions are made to the OpenStack project.  At the Board meeting in Vancouver, the Board discussed ways to deal with the concerns raised about the contributor license agreement process.  As you noted, contributions made on behalf of corporations are made under the Corporate Contribution License Agreement ("CCLA") but all individuals whether making contributions on behalf of corporations or themselves, sign the Individual Contribution License Agreement ("ICLA").  During the  Board/TC session, we also discussed whether the project can move from  requiring all contributors to execute the ICLA and provide that  individuals who contribute on behalf of themselves can use the Developer's  Certificate of Origin ("DCO") instead of the ICLA.  I believe that the general view of the Board is that this approach should be adopted, but the change needs to formally approved by the Board. The issue is on the agenda for the next Board meeting on July 28, 2015.
However, the Foundation is not waiting for formal Board approval of the ICLA issue to implement the significant technical changes required for the agreed-upon CLA process improvements. We will summarize those changes below. With regard to the CCLA process, the Foundation needs to automate the CCLA  process to ensure (1) that all companies whose employees are  contributing code/documentation have executed the CCLA and (2) that  each company's contributing employees are appropriately associated  with their employer.  By identifying the individuals who are contributing under the CCLA, the Foundation can identify contributions made by individuals on their own behalf and implement the DCO process for such contributions  In addition, the bug tracking system needs to be migrated from Launchpad before migrating Gerrit to openstackid. The Gerrit system is maintained by the Infra team and the majority of those resources are not on the Foundation staff. We understand that the necessary changes should be in place prior to the Mikata release process.

Here are the action items and their status or proposed dates of completion for this implementation:
1.       The Foundation staff has completed the openstackid CCLA tracking dashboard including developer affiliations.
2.      July 28: Approval of CCLA DCO approach
3.      Prior to Mitaka release process
         a.      Foundation staff and Infra team will complete migration of Gerrit to openstackid;
        b.      Foundation staff confirms that signed CCLAs are captured by the system and that openstackid implements the CCLA tracking dashboard; and
        c.      Once confirmed, the system will be implemented fully

The information contained in this email may be confidential and/or legally privileged. It has been sent for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). If the reader of this message is not an intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication, or any of its contents, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please reply to the sender and destroy all copies of the message. To contact us directly, send to postmaster at dlapiper.com. Thank you.