[OpenStack Foundation] Finding people to work on the EC2 API in Nova

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Fri Jan 30 10:46:08 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-01-29 at 16:01 -0800, Michael Still wrote:
> However, we got here because no one is maintaining the code in Nova
> for the EC2 API. This is despite repeated calls over the last 18
> months (at least).

I'd love to get to the root cause before we jump to look for solutions.
The story we hear is that EC2 is important and according to the user
survey there are users that seem to be using OpenStack's EC2 code. Nova
developers point out though that the EC2 code is broken and unusable. So
something is out of whack: either user report are more 'wishes' than
usage or the openstack code is not as bad or someone else is feeding
these users good code (that is not in openstack repositories) or
something else.

I would suggest that we start by reaching out to these users.

Which questions shall we ask them? I'd start from:

* where did you get the EC2 API: vanilla openstack (version, etc) or via
a vendor? which vendor?
* how do you use the EC2 code? Anecdotes are enough I think at this
point.

Tim and user committee: do you think I or Tom can get the list of
respondents to the user survey who declared to use EC2 so we can ask
them more questions?

If not, we can start by asking on the operators list and blog posts and
wait for someone to come forward.