[OpenStack Foundation] [openstack-dev] [tc] Take back the naming process

Lauren Sell lauren at openstack.org
Wed Jan 28 02:13:16 UTC 2015

Hey Monty,

I’d like to weigh in here, because I think there have been some misunderstandings around Lemming-gate. I’m glad you raised your concerns; it’s a good test of release naming for us all to discuss and learn from.

To provide a little context for those new to the discussion, historically, when it’s time to name the development cycle, open suggestions are taken on a wiki page (https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Release_Naming) after which the Technical Committee works to create a short list that are then voted on by the entire community. Typically, Foundation staff play a role in this process to work with our trademark counsel to vet the release names. We register them to ensure our rights, and they become significant brands for the OpenStack community, as well as all of the companies who are building and marketing their products on OpenStack. One of the names that was proposed for the L development cycle was Lemming.

So little-known fact, I’m actually a huge fan of rodents (I’ve had several pet rats), but I’m afraid the name Lemming conjures up more than a small mammal. The dictionary.com definition is "a member of any large group following an unthinking course towards mass destruction," or if you prefer Urban Dictionary, “a member of a crowd with no originality or voice of his own. One who speaks or repeats only what he has been told. A tool. A cretin.”

When I heard that Lemming was a consideration, I was a bit concerned. Most of all, I care about and am protective of this community, and I think that would paint us with a pretty big / easy target. Regardless, I did the due diligence with our trademark counsel, and they provided the following feedback: “The proposed trademark LEMMING cleared our preliminary search for the usual goods/services, subject to the usual limitations.  The majority of applications/registrations that others have filed for the term are dead (no pun intended).  I take this to mean the brand generally has problems in the marketplace due to negative connotation.”

So, I reached out to Thierry and a few of the TC members to share my perspective and concern from a marketing standpoint. I have a lot of respect for you and this community, and I would hate to jeopardize the perception of your work. I am very sensitive to the fact that I do not have a magical marketing veto; I was simply providing feedback and trying to bring another perspective to the conversation. My sense from talking to them was that Lemming was kind of a joke and not a serious option. I also read the notes of the following TC meeting, and it didn’t seem like there was much of an issue...so I stopped worrying about it.

(TC meeting notes for reference, you can search Lemming in this discussion: http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/tc/2015/tc.2015-01-13-20.01.log.txt)

Anyhow, it seems like it’s boiled into a larger issue, and I’m more than happy to have the discussion and get more input. I stand by my advice and hope our community leaders will make a reasonable decision. I certainly don’t want to take the fun out of release naming, but at the end of the day we are all pretty fortunate and have quite a bit of fun as part of this community. I was just trying to protect it.

Best,
Lauren