[OpenStack Foundation] Fwd: Re: [Foundation Board] propose 2015 board meeting dates

Steve Noble snoble at sonn.com
Tue Feb 24 03:05:36 UTC 2015

It is my belief that the openstack board and organization as a whole should
be as open and transparent as possible yet the document you reference is
compromised by the following statement in section 2:

"(a) Board meetings (except executive sessions) are open to the public"

And the follow on information in section 3:

"Notwithstanding a general policy favoring disclosure and transparency,
certainsensitive information must remain confidential. “Confidential
Information” means (a) information disclosed during the executive session
of Board meetings including, without limitation, personnel matters,
discussions around Gold Member applications and information collected,
prepared or discussed relating to or in anticipation of litigation"

First, the opening statement about "a general policy favoring disclosure
and transparency" is useless and self serving.

Second, The discussion of gold member status has zero reason to be
confidential in an "Open" organization, it only serves to obscure and
confuse the community. If a member of the board has something to say as a
representative of the board and more specifically a representative of their
parent organization, it can be said publicly.

Third, Litigation is another subject that can be more openly discussed with
compromising the outcome of the litigation. If you want a good reference
look at the California state University board meetings.
https://www.calstate.edu/bot/agendas/mar12/Whole.pdf.

Continuing on:

"(b) financial information (excluding financial information included in the
annual summary provided by the Chairman of the Board) (c) disciplinary
actions taken against Platinum Members, Gold Members or Individual Members "

Why? A community focused organization should be transparent and at a
minimum be more transparent than government organizations. The Bagley-Keene
Open Meeting Act, http://oag.ca.gov/open-meetings, (which does not apply to
openstack) requires more openness than the openstack board transparency
statement.

To sum up my statements:

The openstack board should have pride in their position of running such a
large organization. Any limitations of disclosure that are not backed by
law (such as personal privacy), should be removed.