[OpenStack Foundation] OpenStack Foundation Tax Exempt Status

Jonathan Bryce jonathan at openstack.org
Wed Aug 26 16:16:16 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,

I'm very happy to report that after a lengthy process with the US Internal Revenue Service (IRS), including an initial denial and an appeal, the OpenStack Foundation has been granted 501c6 tax exempt status. This is clear recognition of the positive impact that our Foundation is having on the cloud computing industry.

While it may seem like a small administrative matter, the long term impact is very positive for the efforts of the Foundation and the industry, allowing us to devote more resources to ensuring the cloud revolution is truly open to everyone. We also hope this outcome for our Foundation benefits other open source organizations pursuing tax exempt status with the IRS now and in the future.

Thank you to everyone in the OpenStack community and the greater open source world who supported us through the process.

Jonathan