[OpenStack Foundation] September 18, 2014 Board Meeting Summary

Jonathan Bryce jonathan at openstack.org
Sun Sep 21 20:59:01 UTC 2014

Hello everyone,

The OpenStack Foundation Board of Directors held a telephone meeting this past Thursday. The agenda was posted on the wiki: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Governance/Foundation/18Sept2014BoardMeeting

To begin, the Board approved the minutes of the previous meeting. Those minutes will be posted on the wiki soon. The Board welcomed Mark McClain, who is now the appointed Gold Director for Yahoo! following Sean Roberts' departure. Sean has been a very involved Board member since the formation of the Foundation and chaired the Finance Committee for the last two years, and I want to thank him for his help all along the way. While he has given up his Board seat for now, he still continues to be active in the community.

Rob Hirschfeld asked that we touch on the topic of mid-cycle meet ups and requested that the Foundation staff work with the PTLs and contributors to see if there are any actions we should take to help coordinate and make participation in these events easier. If any of you have feedback on this point, we’d love to hear it (on the list or directly to me if you’d prefer).

Next, we moved on to several committee reports. I discussed the opening for Platinum membership, and the Board voted to expand the scope of the Gold Membership Committee to cover new Platinum Member applicants as well. This committee, which is chaired by Simon Anderson, will begin working with interested organizations to present their applications for Platinum membership at the upcoming Board meeting. If your organization is interested in Platinum membership, please contact me directly. The newly scoped Gold and Platinum Member Committee also added several new members, including Alex Freedland, Todd Moore, John Zannos, Chris Kemp and Tristan Goode.

The Board also voted to approve Alex Freedland as Chairperson of the Finance Committee. Several new members were added to the Finance Committee as well, including Mark McLoughlin, Mark McClain and John Zannos.

After this, there followed a lengthy update and discussion covering the DefCore process. The Board requested that the DefCore Committee work with the Foundation Staff and trademark counsel to come back with some additional concrete examples and proposals of commercial trademark license use based on the existing work of the DefCore committee as well as feedback from various community discussions that indicated multiple usage marks (e.g. compute or storage specific) may be desired sooner than previously anticipated.

This discussion consumed the remainder of the time scheduled for the call, and the Board was unable to cover the Bylaws discussion or executive session topics. The next scheduled Board meeting is November 2, prior to the Paris Summit, however, in order to make progress on DefCore and the other topics that were not discussed, Alan will try to schedule an additional Board meeting in October. If that meeting is scheduled, we’ll make sure to announce the date and send the details out to the Foundation list.

Thanks to all of you who were able to join,

Jonathan
210-317-2438