[OpenStack Foundation] Understanding DefCore

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 05:19:27 UTC 2014

Hi all,

In trying to wrap my head around DefCore, I read the DefCore committe's
mission as documented on the committee's wiki page[0]. The mission is to
"define 'OpenStack Core' as chartered by the by-laws and guided by
Governance/CoreDefinition.'  While the bylaws don't have any reference to
"OpenStack Core" they do define a term called "Core OpenStack Project"[1].
Is this what the DefCore Comittee is refering to when talking about
"OpenStack Core?" If so, the bylaws already clearly state the process to
change what software modules make up the "Core OpenStack Project." The
Technical Committee(TC) proposes a change to what is in the "Core OpenStack
Project" and the Board of Directors has the sole authrity to approve or
reject the TC's recommendation [2]. This mismatch between DefCore's mission
and the bylaws has already been identified by the DefCore committee itself
[3]. So if the current mission statement doesn't align with the bylaws then
what is the DefCore committe's current mission statement?

The 'Core Definition' document[5] mentions DefCore will help "determine how
commercial implementations of OpenStack can be granted use of the
trademark," and the committee "may suggest changes to the by-laws to
clarify the definition of core." So presumably DefCore is not about
defining "Core OpenStack Project," but rather about revising the trademark
policy as defined in Appendix 8 of the bylaws [6]. This interpretation
alligns with the special clause on ammendments in the bylaws "the Board of
Directors may by majority vote, amend the Trademark Policy prior to January
31, 2013 to establish testing and certification requirements for the use of
the trademarks owned by the Foundation in connection with the use of the
Core OpenStack Project."[7]  What is the progress on drafting a revision to
the trademark policy? Is there a preliminary draft on the proposed change?
Seeing this would help me wrap my better understand DefCore.

best,
Joe Gordon

[0] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Governance/DefCoreCommittee
[1] http://www.openstack.org/legal/bylaws-of-the-openstack-foundation/