[OpenStack Foundation] July 22, 2014 Board Meeting Summary

Jonathan Bryce jonathan at openstack.org
Wed Jul 23 00:07:16 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

Today the Foundation Board of Directors held an in-person meeting in Portland, OR. Most of the Directors were present with a couple joining remotely. The agenda was posted on the wiki: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Governance/Foundation/22July2014BoardMeeting

The meeting took the full day and touched on a number of different topics. I opened the day with an update on community metrics and discussed the progress on the upcoming OpenStack Summit Paris in November. As a reminder, registration for the Paris Summit is open now and speaking proposals are being accepted. More information can be found on https://www.openstack.org/summit/openstack-paris-summit-2014/. We also discussed the possible locations for the 2015 summits. Finally I presented an updated budget for the second half of 2014, which includes hiring a few more full-time Foundation staff to support testing, development and ecosystem growth, as well as investing more in infrastructure and marketing. After discussion, the Board approved the new budget for the remainder of this year. Next, Mark Collier presented a framework for identifying and capitalizing on the next engines for OpenStack's growth, such as new markets like NFV and the efforts of the Win The Enterprise working group.

After a short break, the Board moved on to an initial discussion of the contribution policy for the Foundation. The discussion was primarily centered around education for the Directors on the existing framework and contributor license agreements and possible changes to the contribution framework and policy. There were several documents that were prepared and presented and we are working on posting these to the wiki. This topic has also been discussed on the legal-discuss mailing list, so if it’s a topic you are interested in, you may want to join that list or read the archives there.

Following lunch, the Win The Enterprise working group made a series of presentations identifying various areas for improvement and opportunities where OpenStack can continue to better meet the needs of enterprise deployments. These presentations also included a lot of group discussion about the types of workloads that are or should be the best use cases for OpenStack now and going forward. This working group is continuing to take on a number of activities over the coming months and welcomes additional involvement from anyone who’d like to participate.

The DefCore committee then provided an update on their efforts (http://www.openstack.org/blog/2014/07/defcore-update-input-request-for-havana-capabilities/) to help improve interoperability (http://www.openstack.org/blog/2014/01/openstack-commitment-to-interoperability/) between OpenStack commercial products. First they presented the Advisory Capabilities and tests for the Havana release of OpenStack, which the Board voted to approve. The Foundation Staff are now going to work on updating the framework for the trademark license agreements and exploring how we expose tests from companies who decide to share results on an opt-in basis. These updates will be discussed and reviewed in upcoming community marketing and Board meetings as we prepare to finalize the enforceable Capabilities and Designated Sections and implement them.

The DefCore committee then proceeded to a discussion and update on the status of the designated code requirements section with no current Board vote at this time. The Board is expected to vote on the slate of designated sections for the OpenStack Powered agreement in the September board meeting. The DefCore committee has a mailing list and numerous community meetings if you would like to be more involved in the ongoing effort.

Thanks to everyone who participated in the meeting today. Let me know if you have any questions,

Jonathan
210-317-2438