[OpenStack Foundation] [OpenStack-DefCore] Understanding DefCore

Mark Collier mark at openstack.org
Tue Jul 1 16:30:29 UTC 2014

> On Jun 29, 2014, at 8:34 AM, Mark McLoughlin <markmc at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 2014-06-25 at 13:57 -0500, Mark Collier wrote:
>> Great summary Jonathan.
>>
>> TL;DR if you read to the end I mention Ceph!
>>
>> Here are the key points which relate to the debate at hand.
>>
>> 1)  The TM policy itself simply requires companies to get a license
>> for commercial use, but does not dictate what the contents of those
>> licenses should be. The requirements inside of those license
>> agreements can be updated as needed by the Foundation.
>>
>> 2)  The current product requirements in those agreements are
>> essentially “include entirety of Nova & Swift from a recent release
>> and pass some FITs tests approved by the TC when available."  This is
>> outdated and insufficient given how fast the project has expanded, but
>> it is the status quo. Any improvement on this status quo is progress
>> in my book, fwiw.
>
> Yep, agree.
>
>> 3)  The real question is:  what should those technical requirements be
>> to call your product “OpenStack” (i.e. to get a license)?
>
> We should be careful of our language around this - nobody gets to call
> their product "OpenStack". This is about the technical requirements for
> products to use the "OpenStack Powered" logo, call their product "Acme
> Cloud Software Powered by OpenStack" or similar, or (I assume this bit -
> see my question to Jonathan) call their product "Acme OpenStack”.

Great point, no product can be called simply “OpenStack”.  OpenStack (that which we produce every 6 months as a community) is, in fact, “OpenStack”. :)  What is possible, with a signed license, is to use the word “OpenStack” as _part of_ your product name, when meeting all of the requirements, in a particular manner.

To directly address the word mark usage examples in product names, Jonathan did give one example (ACME Cloud Powered by OpenStack).  However, in the case of Distributions, we have been granting the right to use it in combination with the company’s brand such as “Piston OpenStack” or “Red Hat OpenStack” or “Mirantis OpenStack”.  Each of those examples are of products from companies who’ve signed a TM license with the foundation.