[OpenStack Foundation] The two types of interoperability

Randy Bias randyb at cloudscaling.com
Mon Feb 10 19:44:30 UTC 2014

Thierry,

	I’m in violent agreement on this one.  Interoperability can’t be perfect and looking somewhere other than OpenStack’s infrastructure components has real value.  I have felt for a while that Heat should become the lingua franca for how applications are bootstrapped onto a cloud.  Can a tool like Heat help us with creating applications that “run anywhere” either by being able to interrogate an OpenStack cloud for capabilities (e.g. how many NICs does a VM get?) and pass that data on to tools like Chef/Puppet or RightScale/Dell Cloud Manager?

	I think it can.  I remember Dell Cloud Manager (née enStratius) would interrogate a cloud for capabilities, but perhaps presenting cloud capabilities (starting with the “POSIX” type baseline that Defcore is driving towards + additional changes specific to that cloud) is a better approach.  Better yet, having something like Heat being able to push the cloud capabilities information into whatever framework they are bootstrapping (Chef/Puppet, Cloud Foundry / Apprenda / Stackato / PaaS of whatever kind, etc.) would be ideal.

	There will still be challenges in terms of QoS/SLAs being different, but at least you could always load an app written in this manner.  It might also allow automated continuous integration with a variety of OpenStack reference architectures.

Best,

--Randy

Founder & CEO, Cloudscaling
Board of Directors, OpenStack Foundation
+1 (415) 787-2253 [SMS or voice]
TWITTER: twitter.com/randybias
LINKEDIN: linkedin.com/in/randybias
CALENDAR: doodle.com/randybias