[OpenStack Foundation] The two types of interoperability

Randy Bias randyb at cloudscaling.com
Fri Feb 7 02:55:52 UTC 2014

On Feb 6, 2014, at 3:36 PM, Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com> wrote:
> As a user, I just want to be able to point my application at a different
> cloud (with a different set of credentials) and have it work and behave
> the same way.  There's no federation needed to achieve that.
>
> The OpenStack project itself is a huge consumer of OpenStack clouds via
> the infrastructure project.  They shouldn't have to do special casing
> for which cloud they're talking to, yet they do.

How do you fix this without dictating architecture/design decisions?  I’ve been building infrastructure for 23 years and deploying apps on top of infrastructure in an automated fashion for 13 years.  I just don’t understand how you resolve this problem without either special casing OR dictating a reference architecture.

Am I missing something obvious?  I sure would like to know if I am.

--Randy

Founder & CEO, Cloudscaling
Board of Directors, OpenStack Foundation
+1 (415) 787-2253 [SMS or voice]
TWITTER: twitter.com/randybias
LINKEDIN: linkedin.com/in/randybias
CALENDAR: doodle.com/randybias