[OpenStack Foundation] The two types of interoperability

Boris Renski brenski at mirantis.com
Thu Feb 6 22:21:18 UTC 2014

Interop is a good goal. However, I frankly don't see us ever achieving
"total interoperability" by exclusively relying on trademark enforcement as
leverage.

The only path I see currently towards the type of interop that would allow
for workload federation across providers is if there was an upstream
project, whereby various providers would proactively write and maintain
connectors into a central auth system... kinda like an "openstack native
rightscale." Those deploying openstack on-prem would then be able to
leverage this module to federate on-prem environment with all the providers
that have a functional driver. I.e. just like you have multiple storage
provider drivers to cinder, we need services providers to write and
maintain drivers against something in OpenStack. I've seen discussions and
even blueprints on federated keystone in the past, but am not sure how much
progress has been made... Thierry maybe you know more?

I.e. there has to be a technology solution to back up administrative
action. Not just trademarks and definitions.

Thoughts?

-Boris