[OpenStack Foundation] The two types of interoperability

Dan Wendlandt dwendlandt at vmware.com
Wed Feb 5 16:30:39 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----

Strongly agree :)

To me the key interoperability question is "can I as a user easily understand the portability of my workload across different clouds that use the OpenStack label". While one approach to this is that all clouds labeled "OpenStack" have exactly the same "core" API/toolset surface, I doubt this is a very practical approach. For example, I know many people who are deploying OpenStack without Swift, and that makes perfect sense for them. What they would care about is whether the code that wrote against their API (Nova, Glance, etc.) would work against another cloud. So if we instead approach the problem from a sense of "how can we give people a mental framework and perhaps a set of tools for understanding interoperability", I think we will end up at a much better place.

And I definitely agree that using the term "core" for othis is extra confusing, as the same term applies to a projects status. However, just because a project is "core" does not mean that all instances of it expose the same API/toolset surface, due to API extensions, different release versions, different configuration options, different flavors, etc.

Dan