[OpenStack Foundation] The two types of interoperability

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Wed Feb 5 11:42:27 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-02-05 at 12:21 +0100, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> As you all know, the DefCore effort is working on redefining "core" (and
> associated permitted usage of the OpenStack trademark), with the end
> goal of fostering interoperability.
>
> Interoperability is good, and everyone agrees we need it. However,
> "interoperability" is a single word describing two very different
> outcomes, and using that word until now prevented having a necessary
> discussion on what type of interoperability we are actually after.
>
> There are two types of interoperability. I call the first one "loose
> interoperability". The idea is to minimize the set of constraints, and
> maximize the ecosystem able to call themselves "openstack" (or
> "interoperable").
>
> I call the second one "total interoperability". The idea is to maximize
> the set of constraints, and have less deployments be able to call
> themselves "openstack" (but have that lucky few share more common traits).
>
> Loose interoperability enables differentiation and is business-friendly
> (larger ecosystem). Total interoperability enables federation and is
> end-user-friendly (easier to move workloads from one openstack to
> another, as they share more).
>
> We can continue defining the process, but now we need to choose between
> those two types of interoperability, as it affects the implementation
> details (how we designate "must-use" parts of the code and determine
> "must-pass" tests).
>
> I think it's more than time we look beyond the process and decide what
> is our end goal here.

Very nicely put, Thierry. I agree we need to be crystal clear on our
interoperability goals, otherwise arguing over the implementation
details of our interoperability program is fairly futile.

I tried and failed to express that idea here:

  http://blogs.gnome.org/markmc/2013/10/30/openstack-core-and-interoperability/

  I think the focus should be on immediate baby-steps towards
  kick-starting this marketplace. One simple question – if and when we
  certify the first batch of interoperable clouds, would we rather have
  a smaller number of big clouds included or a large number of smaller
  clouds? In terms of resource capacity provided by this marketplace, I
  guess it’s more-or-less the same thing.

  Let’s assume we absolutely want (at least) a small number of the
  bigger providers included in the program at launch. Let’s say “small
  number” equals “Rackspace and HP”. And let’s assume both of these
  providers are very keen to help get this program started. Isn’t the
  obvious next baby-step to get representatives of those two providers
  to figure out exactly what level of interoperability they already have
  and also what improvements to that they can make in the short term?

  If we had that report, we could next do a quick “sniff test” comparing
  this to many of the other OpenStack clouds out there to make sure we
  haven’t just picked two clouds with an unusual set of compatible APIs.
  Then the board could make a call on whether this represents a
  reasonable starting point for the requirements of OpenStack clouds.

  No, this isn’t perfect. But it would be a genuine step forward towards
  being able to certify some clouds. We would have some data on
  commonalities and have made a policy decision on what commonalities
  are required. It would be a starting point.

Basically, I'd love to be able to look at a chart which plots
interoperability against the size of the interoperable
marketplace/ecosystem. And then we could have a rationale discussion
about whether we aim for higher interop, even if that means a tiny
interoperable marketplace, or a larger interoperable marketplace with a
tiny level of interoperability.

It's a difficult trade-off, but it's *the* important decision for the
board to make. I'd prefer to be making that decision with data rather
than in the abstract but, in the absence of data, I think the board
should be discussing it.

To put the question another way - which helps users more? The ability to
write interoperable code which uses a large number of OpenStack APIs,
but which is only actually interoperable between a small number of
OpenStack clouds? Or interoperability whereby you have a smaller set of
interoperable APIs, but code that uses only those APIs would be
interoperable with a much larger number of OpenStack clouds?

My instinct would be to start with the set of APIs which are already
interoperable between the highest profile OpenStack clouds and build a
campaign around enlarging the set of APIs every release without damaging
the size of the interoperable ecosystem.

Mark.