[OpenStack Foundation] DefCore Update on Designated Sections, please disccuss/+1

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Aug 19 08:48:33 UTC 2014

Tim Bell wrote:
> As regards “Havana Keystone is not designated”, does this mean that I
> can have an OpenStack™ cloud without having a Keystone compatible API ?

I think that would be a cloud "powered by OpenStack™".

> If it is just the requirement for API compatibility, should this not be
> that it has no designated code.
>
> If it is actually not required, can the other components function fully
> without Keystone ? I would hope to be able to point a standard CLI such
> as nova at an OpenStack™ cloud and for it to work.
>
> This may reflect that some clouds have alternative identity
> implementations but I am not aware if they are API compatible yet.

I think I agree with Tim -- keystone is a pretty critical component for
basic interoperability of OpenStack clouds. API compatibility sounds
like a bare minimum.

We should also proactively look at making Keystone code designated in
the future. I understand that some OpenStack companies do not run
Keystone -- if that's due to technical limitations, it would be good to
have a full account of those, so that we can make sure filling those
gaps in baked into Keystone future roadmap.

Thierry Carrez (ttx)