[OpenStack Foundation] OpenStack core and interoperability

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Thu Oct 31 21:56:20 UTC 2013

On 10/31/2013 05:22 PM, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-10-31 at 10:57 -0600, Monty Taylor wrote:
>> I don't see compatible as being any easier for us to put in place than
>> OpenStack. Both require us to make the same high level decision about
>> which services need to be either run or implemented. The difference is
>> in enforcement or assertion. I think we can do both.
>
> How would we express which code is required and how would providers
> (self-)certify that they are running that code?
>
> Do we require zero modifications to the required code? If modifications
> are allowed, how do we express what level of modifications? Or do we
> just make it a good faith "we haven't made any fundamental changes"
> assertion?
>
> Are providers required to just run the required code, or actually route
> all user requests through that code? Are they allowed they put other
> code between the user and the required code?
>
> Or do we require providers to submit a report of what upstream code
> they're running and we (a human, on behalf of the Foundation) makes a
> judgement call based on guidelines as to whether this is a faithful
> implementation? If we go this route - i.e. making it a question of a
> judgement call - how do we make those judgement calls totally fair and
> transparent? We certainly don't want accusations of us rejecting a
> provider because we don't like them.
>
> The "OpenStack compatible" thing *is* either - the self-certification
> process is "run these tests, you must pass them all". Totally
> unambiguous.

Legal agreements are ambiguous. It drives us tech folks BATTY. But
that's one of the reasons we have lawyers, because legal agreements are
ambiguous and require human judgement.

I think we start with what you mentioned earlier, a good faith statement
of "you have to run the code" - and not try to spell out specifics.
Smell tests are often fine here. Is Rackspace running keystone? No. We
all know that. Are Rackspace and HP running Cinder? Different story -
AIUI, they are running Cinder with custom plugins. Are they running
Nova? Yes. Absolutely. Do they carry local patches? Probably.

I don't think think this is the type of criteria that a gating test can
be developed for, or even a check list. I think it's simply a legal
agreement, that the company in question agrees that, in order to use the
mark "An OpenStack Cloud" or whatever, that they will actually run
OpenStack itself.