[OpenStack Foundation] OpenStack core and interoperability

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Thu Oct 31 21:03:24 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-10-31 at 13:55 -0500, Mark Collier wrote:
> The OpenStack Mission is to:
>
> To produce the ubiquitous OpenSource Cloud Computing platform that
> will meet the needs of public and private clouds regardless of size,
> by being simple to implement and massively scalable.
>
> IMHO the operative (action) word is "produce."  This is why I agree
> with Monty that it is critical that if we start somewhere, it should
> be with a program based on people running the code, who have a vested
> interest in the code's continual evolution and survival.  If we take
> our eye of of that it could invite fragmentation and dilution of any
> meaning for "what is openstack".
>

> That said, it seems to me that technically speaking, we might only
> need 1 set of tests that could feed the two distinct programs being
> described ("openstack cloud" and "compatible").  So there might be to
> two (marketing/business/logo) *programs* with unique requirements
> other than testing, but with one test suite.
>

> Therefore, IMHO, the best place to start is with the development of
> the test itself while continuing to discuss the ways in which the
> results might be applied to two distinct (logo) *prorgrams*.  Now I
> understand that you cant develop a test in the absence of requirements
> such as which projects to include, but we could probably come up with
> a sensible starting point and add additional coverage over time
> (increasing test coverage not necessarily implying that each must pass
> to qualify for a specific program).

Ok, I'd be totally cool with all that ... if I had any idea how we were
going to go about creating "a program based on people running the code".
I see a near bottomless pit of issues we'd need to work through before
putting that into place and I don't want to block making
interoperability progress on these issues.

Am I missing something? What's (roughly) your take on how such a program
would work?

To be clear, I mean - assuming we know what code should be required to
run - how do we express those requirements precisely and certify that
providers are meeting them?

Thanks,
Mark.