[OpenStack Foundation] OpenStack core and interoperability

Mark Collier mark at openstack.org
Thu Oct 31 18:55:00 UTC 2013

The OpenStack Mission is to:

To produce the ubiquitous OpenSource Cloud Computing platform that will
meet the needs of public and private clouds regardless of size, by being
simple to implement and massively scalable.

IMHO the operative (action) word is "produce."  This is why I agree with
Monty that it is critical that if we start somewhere, it should be with a
program based on people running the code, who have a vested interest in the
code's continual evolution and survival.  If we take our eye of of that it
could invite fragmentation and dilution of any meaning for "what is
openstack".

That said, it seems to me that technically speaking, we might only need 1
set of tests that could feed the two distinct programs being described
("openstack cloud" and "compatible").  So there might be to two
(marketing/business/logo) *programs* with unique requirements other than
testing, but with one test suite.

Therefore, IMHO, the best place to start is with the development of the
test itself while continuing to discuss the ways in which the results might
be applied to two distinct (logo) *prorgrams*.  Now I understand that you
cant develop a test in the absence of requirements such as which projects
to include, but we could probably come up with a sensible starting point
and add additional coverage over time (increasing test coverage not
necessarily implying that each must pass to qualify for a specific program).