[OpenStack Foundation] OpenStack core and interoperability

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Thu Oct 31 16:57:28 UTC 2013

I don't see compatible as being any easier for us to put in place than OpenStack. Both require us to make the same high level decision about which services need to be either run or implemented. The difference is in enforcement or assertion. I think we can do both.

As OpenStack, I do not think we need to go out of our way to enable people to not collaborate. We can stop it, and I think it's everyone's right to choose NIH and to do whatever, but it's not my job to help them or give them kudos when they do.

Ceph, BTW, I think is a great counter example. They existed first, but went and added integration. That's an example of a positive and helpful alternate impl... But honestly, it's such an exception I think we can all directly make the actual judgement call when we see it.