[OpenStack Foundation] OpenStack core and interoperability

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Thu Oct 31 16:38:13 UTC 2013

On 10/31/2013 07:52 AM, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> I could see us having two trademark programs "OpenStack Cloud" - where
> you know that the provider is running a "faithful implementation" of
> OpenStack code - and "OpenStack Compatible Cloud" - where you just know
> the provider is compatible with the interfaces.

Highlighting a risk with putting 'compatible cloud' first: I have the
feeling that the worst case scenario would be that this would accelerate
centrifugal push out of OpenStack code base and into 'improved' code
bases, but 'compatible at API level'. We may end up with having less
attractivity for the central pieces of OpenStack.

Not necessarily bad per se, just something to be aware of and manage.

/stef