[OpenStack Foundation] OpenStack core and interoperability

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 15:18:31 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 9:58 AM, Mark McLoughlin <markmc at redhat.com> wrote:

> Or maybe there's only one program and the "use OpenStack code"
> requirement gets added in the future.

[...]

> But we do need to get moving on encouraging interoperability between
> public clouds, even if that means making a short term tactical decision
> that we don't need to require they use OpenStack code for everything.

That is a one-way gate.  I would be surprised to see a deployment revert
from using Ceph rather than Swift in order to meet that, after all there
was a valid-to-the-deployer reason to not use Swift in the first place.  An
upstream requirements change doesn't change that.

That said, I do agree that the OpenStack API compatibility is important now
and shouldn't wait for the long-term ideal.  But I have no expectation that
adding things like the code requirements down the road will change the
existing deployments.

dt

--

Dean Troyer