[OpenStack Foundation] OpenStack core and interoperability

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Thu Oct 31 14:39:03 UTC 2013

Before I answer some specific points, I'd like to say that I agree with
Thierry's assesssment of the goal.

I'd also like to say that I am in favor of defining what I think a cloud
should be and using the power of the brand to encourage people to
converge towards that.

I believe that even in the short time OpenStack has been here, we've
seen that every time OpenStack doesn't have a stated opinion, everyone
rushes to diverge as quickly as humanly possible, but as soon as there
is an opinion, even a vague one, convergence starts to happen. I'd like
to continue that trend, because I think it's in the best interests of
our users.

On 10/31/2013 07:29 AM, Tim Bell wrote:

> A reference implementation is good but, as I have explained to Rob,
> there is a need to allow a cloud which has chosen to implement an
> alternative to still be defined as ‘OpenStack API compliant’.

I think "API compliant" is a fine thing, as long as there is a
difference between saying "this IS OpenStack" and "this is compatible
with OpenStack"

> A typical example would be if ceph was chosen as an object store rather
> than swift. From the outside, they’d look the same but it is an
> implementation choice.
>

> Tim

I believe we've always been quite strongly against having a defined
standard and then implementing it.