[OpenStack Foundation] OpenStack core and interoperability

Dave Neary dneary at redhat.com
Thu Oct 31 14:36:33 UTC 2013

Hi,

On 10/31/2013 10:06 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Mark McLoughlin posted a very interesting view at:
> http://blogs.gnome.org/markmc/2013/10/30/openstack-core-and-interoperability/

Awesome summary & more or less exactly what I think.

> I agree with him. "Core" is not a goal, it's just a means to an end. A
> "market of interoperable OpenStack clouds" is the goal. By focusing on
> the means rather than the end goal, we face the risk of missing the target.

The goal is: allow someone using one OpenStack cloud to move *his* stuff
to another OpenStack cloud easily. Also allow someone to burst from a
private OpenStack cloud to a public OpenStack cloud easily on demand.
That could be achieved by interoperability, but the definition of
interoperability could also be too narrow to allow that.

> If you focus on the end goal, you realize there is a choice between two
> approaches: the common denominator approach (aim for a small set to make
> sure most current "OpenStack clouds" will stay "OpenStack clouds"), and
> the prescriptive approach (define what would make a "complete" OpenStack
> cloud, and use the power of the trademark to encourage everyone to
> converge towards that). There is no way around that choice and we should
> have the courage to tackle it early rather than late.

Third option: standardise on interfaces and behaviour, and ignore
implementation.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary - Community Action and Impact
Ph: +33 9 50 71 55 62 / Cell: +33 6 77 01 92 13