[OpenStack Foundation] OpenStack core and interoperability

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Oct 31 09:06:51 UTC 2013

Mark McLoughlin posted a very interesting view at:
http://blogs.gnome.org/markmc/2013/10/30/openstack-core-and-interoperability/

I agree with him. "Core" is not a goal, it's just a means to an end. A
"market of interoperable OpenStack clouds" is the goal. By focusing on
the means rather than the end goal, we face the risk of missing the target.

If you focus on the end goal, you realize there is a choice between two
approaches: the common denominator approach (aim for a small set to make
sure most current "OpenStack clouds" will stay "OpenStack clouds"), and
the prescriptive approach (define what would make a "complete" OpenStack
cloud, and use the power of the trademark to encourage everyone to
converge towards that). There is no way around that choice and we should
have the courage to tackle it early rather than late.

I like Rob's approach to the problem because it tries to be neutral and
technical, however I'm concerned that it defers the hard (and political)
choice between those approaches, concentrates on the mechanics and hopes
that those will somehow tell us where the finish line is.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)