[OpenStack Foundation] Agreement on requiring board candidates to attend the meetings, and, why didn't this dogpile dial into the last meeting?

Atwood, Mark mark.atwood at hp.com
Fri Oct 11 14:42:47 UTC 2013

On Oct 11, 2013, at 3:21 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 6:20 PM, Atwood, Mark <mark.atwood at hp.com> wrote:
>
> Mark, I know you don't mean to, but the above sounds quite self-serving and, if I dare, disingenuous.  Are you suggesting that all people interested in OpenStack are in the same timezone, or close to it? Are you suggesting that all people interested in it have the same flexibility in scheduling that you do? To simply dismiss what I consider valuable and useful information with a "you weren't there so be quiet" statement disenfranchises *HUGE* parts of the OpenStack community who *do* care.

Hi Jim,

It would be one thing if the call-in observer gallery was full of people on US Pacific time, or on just US TZs, and we had been discussing how the other TZ folks were thus disenfranchised.  But that's not the case.

I would like to see at least as many people observing each board meeting, which is only held every few months, as I see people observing the *weekly* project meetings.  Which also have TZ issues.

And finally, for many parts of the OpenStack community, this is our *job*.  We get paid to do this.  Dialing into a Board meeting and listening in should be as important in attending as the various meetings and con calls and all-hands and stand-ups that we do for our employers.  Where were all the PTLs, the TC members, the couple of dozen other community engagement folks?

Yes, there are a lot of people who will still have difficulty because of TZ, because of scheduling flexibility , because of language barriers, and so on.  And it will be a problem.  I wish I had good solutions to that problem. But there are a lot of people who don't have those problems.

--
Mark Atwood <mark.atwood at hp.com>
Director - Open Source Engagement for HP Cloud Services and OpenStack