[OpenStack Foundation] Agreement on requiring board candidates to attend the meetings, and, why didn't this dogpile dial into the last meeting?

Atwood, Mark mark.atwood at hp.com
Thu Oct 10 22:20:26 UTC 2013

Hi!

++ on requiring candidates to dial into or attend the meetings for the previous year.  I love that idea.

I would go farther…  FWIW, I’m a touch annoyed by the dogpile in this thread from all the people who were NOT dialed into the last meeting, and who were not on the IRC channel for the board meeting.  I was there.  Why weren’t you all?  If you have an opinion on the Board’s activities, SHOW UP.  It’s not like the meetings are a surprise, or that it’s hard to dial in.  The schedule and access codes are not at the bottle of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying Beware of the Leopard.

I, in fact, reserved a conference room at the offices here in Seattle, sent a meeting invite to the entire office, had the big polycom table phone dialed in, and had the shared desktop projected up on the wall.

One of my very first job interviews with an OpenStack was, in fact, DURING THE JOB INTERVIEW,  to dial into and  listen in on one of the last pre-foundation conference call, while watching the shared desktop, and then getting peppered with questions from my interviewers afterwards of my analysis of the meeting.

Why aren’t you all of all the involved member companies doing the same thing?

The board is trying to be open and transparent.  I see lots of people complaining about the openness and transparency of the board, who are not bothering to take advantage of the unprecedented amount of openness and transparency that it already has.

And, BTW, in the last election cycle I put all my votes on Monty.  Not because of the coincidence that we work for the same company.  I did so because I know him well enough to know that, more than almost anyone else, he is dedicated to this social experiments, and because I know him well enough to know that if his/our employer doesn’t have a prayer of using him as a puppet or a “Second Seat”, and because he is the least “corporate tool” person I’ve ever met who can still actually execute on a plan.   The next cycle, I’m going to vote for him again, for the same reason.

..m

Mark Atwood <mark.atwood at hp.com>
Director of Open Source Engagement for HP Cloud Services
M +1-206-473-7118