[OpenStack Foundation] Individual Member Director Elections

Jim Jagielski jimjag at gmail.com
Tue Oct 8 14:04:32 UTC 2013

On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 9:49 AM, Monty Taylor <mordred at inaugust.com> wrote:

> What matters is that Cummulative Voting is designed EXPLICITLY to
> support and bolster the idea that people with more money get more voice.
> That's its benefit, and it does its job very well.
>
> We, on the other hand, would not like to express that worldview or
> organizational design in our community.

I find that statement troubling... just the idea that a basic tenet of
governance is something that people would not "like" the *community* to
know is somehow uncomfortable to me. What happened to the idea of open and
transparent governance?

> We are, as with many things,
> trying to do something new, not just in our software, but in the way we
> run things.

It's not all that new or unique and, imo, it would benefit OpenStack to
learn from others, or at least listen to those who have done stuff like
this before. Otherwise, it's very easy to justify all decisions, whether
good or bad, based on "no one has ever tried this before".