[OpenStack Foundation] Opening up the board mailing list

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Tue Mar 26 16:37:55 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-02-02 at 10:33 +0000, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-02-01 at 01:00 +0100, Dave Neary wrote:
> > > I've come across cases where this would be useful several times - has
> > > anyone seen a mailman configuration that resembles this?
> >
> > It is possible in Mailman to restrict posting to a list to a subset of
> > the members - you set the "Moderation" flag and set behaviour for all
> > moderated users to "Discard" or "Reject" (reject lets the poster know
> > the mail was rejected, which might be better) in "Privacy
> > options->Sender filters" - then you unset the mod bit for all board
> > members in "Membership management".
> >
> >   That would allow you to have non-board-members subscribe to the board
> > list, get all the email, but not be able to post. If members really want
> > to raise issues related to the board member post, then it can be done on
> > foundation, but you'd need to manually change the header (which might be
> > an effective social control to bike shedding board conversations, rather
> > than trying to figure out how to have reply-to set to a different list
> > for a subset of the membership).
>
> I have no idea whether it is possible, but if it is then it would work
> pretty well except the "non-directors need to change the Reply: header
> when replying" part. That's not terrible, and we can actively encourage
> people to do it.

I've filed a bug on this:

  https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-ci/+bug/1160466

The main issue is dealing with the existing archives. I'd like to create
a new, hidden mailing list (which only board members can access) to hold
those archives for now. Perhaps later we can remove confidential
information from the archives and re-instate the leftovers under
foundation-board.

Cheers,
Mark.