[OpenStack Foundation] Thinking about the mission of the user committeee

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Thu Jan 10 18:13:09 UTC 2013

On Thu 10 Jan 2013 06:29:14 PM CET, Yujie Du wrote:
> Who can explain the difference between the User committee and User
> Group?As we have many User group already right?

The main difference is that the User Committee is an organ of the
OpenStack Foundation. Its mission is to represent the interests of
users inside the Foundation. It is a new organ that is getting formed.

The OpenStack User Groups are informal associations of people around
the world that meet to discuss about OpenStack, share knowledge and
experiences. These are important entities for the OpenStack project as
they help spreading awareness, recruit developers and users and more.
The user groups don't have a direct relation with the OpenStack
Foundation even though the members of the user groups can be members of
the Foundation and eventually be member of the User Committee.

cheers,
stef