[OpenStack Foundation] Thinking about the mission of the user committeee

Dave Neary dneary at redhat.com
Wed Jan 2 10:27:39 UTC 2013

Hi Narayan,

Interesting read - thank you for putting this together! and a happy new
year to all the OpenStack community - may 2013 be a healthy, happy and
successful year for everyone involved.

On 12/28/2012 06:11 PM, Narayan Desai wrote:
> I have a few comments; these aren't so much comments about the
> document that you're circulating; rather, they speak specifically to
> the mission of the user committee, which is only discussed briefly at
> the end.
>
> This mission of the user committee should (IMO) flow from a few basic questions:
>   - How do users engage in the community?
>   - How do we incentivize these participants to help fill the current
> gaps that exist in the community?
>   - How do we best integrate the perspectives of users into the design
> process of openstack code?
>   - How can the user committee facilitate a more productive engagement
> between these two parts of the openstack community?

I would add one question, to be answered before all the others - who are
OpenStack's users? What is their profile? Are we talking about
CIO/technical director of companies deploying OpenStack, DevOps/sysadmin
involved in the deployment and operation, partners packaging and
integrating OpenStack and delivering it to customers, or some other user
profile?

And in addition to your question on how users engage with the community,
how do they *want* to engage with the community? Is it more to share
knowledge with other OpenStack users, to give feedback on the
project/request feature additions, or to help out?

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary - Community Action and Impact
Ph: +33 9 50 71 55 62 / Cell: +33 6 77 01 92 13