[OpenStack Foundation] Individual Member Election Statistics (January 2013)

Lloyd Dewolf lloydostack at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 18:53:41 UTC 2013

On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 11:30 AM, Tim Bell <Tim.Bell at cern.ch> wrote:

> I strongly object to the assertion that employment history should be
> considered in the way you propose. Having worked with Lauren closely in the
> past year, I am surprised at the implication behind your statement.
>
> I worked for IBM for 15 years and found this an excellent experience, I’ve
> moved on to other activities, have good relationships with former
> colleagues and fond memories but I was elected to represent the individuals
> of the foundation.
>
> I am sure that all other individual directors feel the same.

I'm surprised by the implication of an implication.

It's without question that Jonathan, Mark, and Lauren conduct has been
exemplar and that they have spent years doing everything to create a
meritocratic and long-lasting open infrastructure solution -- I could say
at the risk of their own careers. They are among the most ethical
and facilitating people I know. Based on all the conversations a large
number of people feel the same. I'm confident their support comes from very
broad bases.

Under analysis here is how the membership votes, and the successfulness of
measures to encourage the membership to vote not based on their
affiliations. The bylaws' -- possibly only because of delaware legalize --
diversity rules have some language around "in the most recent twelve month
period", though it is specific to *$60,000+ *contractors. Although, my
preference would be for affiliation to be strictly based on current
relationship, contractor or employee, I'd still find as a confident,
data-interested community candidates recent employment by a
large-membership affiliate is essential data to understand the success of
the measures already taken and more generally to all the processes and
mechanisms used.

Making the OpenStack Foundation approachable and accessible for membership,
industrial partnership, and industrial and media analysis requires more
balance and diversity.

Thank you,
--
@lloyddewolf