[OpenStack Foundation] Opening up the board mailing list

Tristan Goode tristan at aptira.com
Mon Feb 11 00:12:41 UTC 2013

The substantive questions are:

1.	Is the board elected to make/ratify decisions on behalf of the membership? - If not, why does it exist at all?  The fact is that by conducting a 'national' referendum on every issue the organisation becomes just a large electoral machine. The original aims will be lost in the machinery.

2.	Are all our decisions non-competitive in nature? - Clearly some decisions or strategies are commercial in confidence; is it proposed that we allow competitors to read these as they are formulated and perhaps not even actioned yet? Such a transparent process will allow them to stymie every effort of the foundation by (them) being aware of the initiatives as soon as we are. This is lacking common sense.  Perhaps this might be handled using a series of quarantine periods relating to a sensitivity scale to provide some measure of security. This format is used by governments all over the world to protect sensitive information, and has been proven to be acceptable to the majority of citizens.