[OpenStack Foundation] Individual Member Election Statistics (January 2013)

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Feb 8 19:56:35 UTC 2013

On 2013-02-08 11:37:28 -0800 (-0800), Lloyd Dewolf wrote:
[...]
> That is almost a 30% drop in participation. This would be a real
> call to action if everyone didn't already know the reality of the
> pool. I suspect that if the affiliations where examined we would
> see a disproportionate drop off in the affiliations where senior
> leadership of those organizations did not make the same
> well-meaning encouragement for participation this time around.
> And, of course, because of the 6+ month membership requirement,
> there was no ability to swell the ranks of the electorate before
> the election.
[...]

I was one of those who voted in the first election but was
ineligible to cast a vote in the second due to timing. Given that
there was a major call for participation within the OpenStack
community immediately prior to the first round with the recent
formation of the Foundation (coincident to when I joined), I
wouldn't be surprised if this had a bigger impact on turn out than
anyone realizes. I would have voted in the most recent election if
my membership hadn't been just shy of the 6-month mark, and am
honestly a little disappointed I was unable to participate.
--
Jeremy Stanley