[OpenStack Foundation] Individual Member Election Statistics (January 2013)

Dave Neary dneary at redhat.com
Fri Feb 8 19:52:54 UTC 2013

Hi,

On 02/08/2013 08:37 PM, Lloyd Dewolf wrote:
> I'm surprised Lauren Sell's results were not also run against Rackspace
> -- I'm hopeful that would show the diversity of her base.

I would like to think that the OpenStack Foundation is not being seen as
a subsidiary of Rackspace! It's very important that it be both
independent and seen to be independent.

> That is almost a 30% drop in participation. This would be a real call to
> action if everyone didn't already know the reality of the pool. I
> suspect that if the affiliations where examined we would see a
> disproportionate drop off in the affiliations where senior leadership of
> those organizations did not make the same well-meaning encouragement for
> participation this time around. And, of course, because of the 6+ month
> membership requirement, there was no ability to swell the ranks of the
> electorate before the election .

Do we have a way to sunset memberships on a regular basis (say, someone
is no linger a member if after 2 years they don't renew their membership)?

> We need to protect against this ever happening, and I am eager to see
> real reform of the elections this year and protection of diversity.
> (We're all responsible for the system failing to elect Anne Gentle, a
> candidate with solid and diverse support being beaten by affiliated
> weighted votes in the August 2012 election).

While I can see where you're coming from, I don't think it would have
been bad to have Mark on the board. I don't know him, but he has seemed
fair-minded and passionate about OpenStack in all my dealings with him
to date.

The question is: do we want a special rule that no more than one
employee of the OpenStack Foundation can be on the board? I can see the
point (especially in the context of your subtle hint that most employees
to date have come from Rackspace), but shouldn't the OpenStack
Foundation be considered like an employer like any other now that it is
an independent entity?

Thanks,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary - Community Action and Impact
Ph: +33 9 50 71 55 62 / Cell: +33 6 77 01 92 13