[OpenStack Foundation] Individual Member Election Statistics (January 2013)

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Fri Feb 1 11:18:21 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-02-01 at 09:06 +0100, Vincent Untz wrote:
> All credits for this should still go to James, as we used the same
> script, and his explanations for each table are used below.

Excellent work again, kudos guys.

> The following table lists the sources of votes for the top 8 candidates
> classified by the employer of the voter. Four categories are listed;
> the first, "%Employer", is the percentage of voters for that candidate
> with the same employer as the candidate. The second, "%Major", is the
> percentage of voters from a "major" employer, which is to say an
> employer that was specified by at least 5 voters overall (there are
> about 20 "major" employers in the data set by this calculation). The
> third, "%Minor", is the percentage from a "minor" employer, i.e., one
> specified by less than 5 individuals. The last, "%None", is the
> percentage who listed no affiliation.
>
>               Source of Votes for Top 8 Candidates
> +-----------------+----------------------+-----------+--------+--------+-------+
> |       Name      |       Employer       | %Employer | %Major | %Minor | %None |
> +-----------------+----------------------+-----------+--------+--------+-------+
> | Monty Taylor    | HP                   |    57 %   |  22 %  |  14 %  |   7 % |
> | Rob Hirschfeld  | Dell                 |    59 %   |  23 %  |  13 %  |   5 % |
> | Troy Toman      | Rackspace            |    68 %   |  18 %  |  10 %  |   4 % |
> | Hui Cheng       | SINA                 |           |        |  29 %  |  31 % |
> | Tim Bell        | CERN                 |           |        |  23 %  |  10 % |
> | Lauren Sell     | OpenStack Foundation |           |        |  19 %  |   8 % |
> | Mark McLoughlin | Red Hat              |           |        |  24 %  |   9 % |
> | Tristan Goode   | Aptira               |           |        |  30 %  |  12 % |
> +-----------------+----------------------+-----------+--------+--------+-------+
>       [Some values have been omitted to preserve anonymity.]

What I'd focus on here is %Employer

Last time around it was:

| Rob Hirschfeld | Dell      |    86 %
| Monty Taylor   | HP        |    75 %
| Joseph George  | Dell      |    88 %
| Troy Toman     | Rackspace |    76 %

The smaller numbers this time around means the candidates' votes were
from a more diverse set of voters.

That's definitely a solid improvement, but it still looks to me like the
big blocks of affiliated voters have an overly large influence over the
result. If the affiliated blocks who voted for the top 3 candidates were
a more average size, I'm guessing they still would rank highly (which is
great) but it would be a much more closely run thing.

> The following table shows how voters who identified as affiliates of
> "major" employers (see above) voted. Only the "major" employers with at
> least 50 affiliated voters and at least 10% of their affiliates voting
> for at least one candidate employed by the subject employer are listed
> to preserve anonymity.
>
> The first column after the name of the organization indicates the number
> of voters claiming affiliation with that organization. Three percentages
> are then listed: the first, "%Only Affiliated" is the percentage of
> those voters who voted only for candidates employed by their affiliate
> organization. The second, "%Including Affiliated", is the percentage who
> voted for at least one candidate employed by their affiliate
> organization. The third, "%Non Affiliated" is the percentage who did not
> vote for any employee of their affiliate organization.
>
>                      How Affiliates Voted
> +-----------+------------+------------+------------+------------+
> |           |   Number   |   %Only    | %Including |    %Non    |
> |    Name   | Affiliated | Affiliated | Affiliated | Affiliated |
> +-----------+------------+------------+------------+------------+
> | Dell      |    242     |    52 %    |    90 %    |    10 %    |
> | HP        |    273     |    40 %    |    87 %    |    13 %    |
> | Rackspace |    261     |    32 %    |    90 %    |    10 %    |

Compared to this last year:

| Dell      |    470     |    81 %    |    97 %    |     3 %    |
| HP        |    304     |    55 %    |    91 %    |     9 %    |
| Rackspace |    244     |    25 %    |    85 %    |    15 %    |

it again looks like a good improvement - i.e. more diversity in voting
and smaller blocks of voters - but the numbers of voters affiliated with
these companies still seem surprisingly high, at least to me.

Cheers,
Mark.