[OpenStack Foundation] Opening up the board mailing list

Dave Neary dneary at redhat.com
Fri Feb 1 00:00:58 UTC 2013

Hi,

On 01/31/2013 10:20 PM, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> There's a standing desire by some (many?) board members for the
> foundation-board mailing list to be made public so that anyone can
> follow their discussions.
>
> Personally, I'd also like a way for folks who aren't on the board to
> easily be able to participate in any board discussions. However, there
> needs to be some way for board members to easily separate the discussion
> between board members from the discussion with the wider foundation
> membership.
>
> I think of this is an "inner circle"[1] mailing list setup:
>
>   - Two mailing lists - "inner circle" and "everyone else", lets call
>     them the IC and EE lists

I've been thinking of foundation as EE, in which case the board list is
IC - and opening the archives of board discussions/allowing read-only
subscriptions would give the transparency to the operation of the board.
Since board members are all members of the foundation list already
(correct?) the foundation list would be the avenue for members to engage
with the board. Problem solved, without the need for Yet Another Mailing
List or a complicated workflow.

Am I missing something?

> I've come across cases where this would be useful several times - has
> anyone seen a mailman configuration that resembles this?

It is possible in Mailman to restrict posting to a list to a subset of
the members - you set the "Moderation" flag and set behaviour for all
moderated users to "Discard" or "Reject" (reject lets the poster know
the mail was rejected, which might be better) in "Privacy
options->Sender filters" - then you unset the mod bit for all board
members in "Membership management".

  That would allow you to have non-board-members subscribe to the board
list, get all the email, but not be able to post. If members really want
to raise issues related to the board member post, then it can be done on
foundation, but you'd need to manually change the header (which might be
an effective social control to bike shedding board conversations, rather
than trying to figure out how to have reply-to set to a different list
for a subset of the membership).

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary - Community Action and Impact
Ph: +33 9 50 71 55 62 / Cell: +33 6 77 01 92 13