[OpenStack Foundation] Foundation Blogged

Doug Davis dug at us.ibm.com
Tue Sep 18 18:32:17 UTC 2012

Lloyd,
  near as I can tell he didn't violate some privacy rules w.r.t.
OS/board-meetings - so why should we care what he, or anyone else, says?
If you want to respond, go for it.  It is just one person's opinion and
they're entitled to it.  Only time will tell if he's right or not.

On the lighter side...
> What really bothers me about this article though is that only other
> members of the board can respond intelligently to it.
I'm not sure why you think the board members would have a more
"intelligent" answer than non-board members.  :-)

thanks
-Doug
(919) 254-6905  |  IBM 444-6905  |  dug at us.ibm.com

From:	Lloyd Dewolf <lloydostack at gmail.com>
To:	foundation at lists.openstack.org,
Date:	09/18/2012 01:31 PM
Subject:	[OpenStack Foundation] Foundation Blogged

Hello fellow foundation members,

http://www.mirantis.com/blog/openstack-accepting-vmware-was-a-mistake/
left me uncomfortable since I first read it. I have held off on
seeking my fellow members thoughts as I had hoped that the first board
meeting minutes would provide context for the conversation. As there
is currently no ETA on when the minutes will be released, and as the
blog post has been picked up by the media [1] I'd like to share my
thoughts.

I think if not Boris Renski's blog post, it would have been someone
else's. I dislike discussions in the abstract and I know Boris Renski
has a thick skin.

Having spent five years of my career at WordPress working every day
with big media and bloggers what first caught my eye was that there
was not clear, explicit, called out disclosure of Boris' membership of
the board and the nature of his personal opinion. I share everyone's
frustration for how manipulative some members of the media are, and
that this sort of thing is necessary. At end of the article there was
"we, at the foundation board,", but I feel the article would have
further benefited from including "disclosure" at the beginning of the
article.

What really bothers me about this article though is that only other
members of the board can respond intelligently to it. The mandate,
membership, and resulting criteria of the Gold Application Committee
(or whatever it is called) has not yet been shared with the Foundation
membership, nor has the meeting minutes.

It seems like we'd all benefit with some etiquette recommendations around
this.

Thank you,
--
@lloyddewolf