[OpenStack Foundation] OpenStack Foundation Board Meeting

Lloyd Dewolf lloydostack at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 17:05:50 UTC 2012

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 10:27 AM, Lloyd Dewolf <lloydostack at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 8:57 PM, Jonathan Bryce <jonathan at openstack.org> wrote:
>>
>> I wanted to inform everyone the OpenStack Foundation Board of Directors has scheduled a special meeting for Tuesday, September 18, 2012. This meeting is scheduled solely to cover Foundation personnel, and therefore will not be open for public participation, in accordance with the bylaws. Feel free to contact me with any questions,
>

> Publishing a more specific agenda would seem appropriate.

As a more specific agenda does not seem forthcoming for the benefit of
Foundation membership I'll take my best shot at guessing based on what
is Foundation (public) information

The agenda likely relates to continuing the process of hiring the
acting Executive Director Jonathan Bryce. Although in almost all
situations it would not be appropriate to name candidates, this is a
unique situation with the bootstrapping of the OpenStack Foundation,
Jonathan Bryce's candor, and Rackspace's full support of this process
and OpenStack's success.

Also, as there is no ETA on an official record of the first Board
meeting, September 7th, 2013, here is a combination of what I recall
as an observer and two other members/observers as relevant background.

Prior to the official formation of the Foundation, an Executive
Director Candidate Committee was formed by invited/applicant
organizations with the support of the acting Board. (This former
committee membership very aligns well with the current board,
particularly platinum and gold representatives).
http://wiki.openstack.org/Governance/Foundation/EDCandidateCommittee

They followed what appears to be a solid process, and narrowed it down
to five excellent candidates and finally recommended Jonathan Bryce:

"Concluding Recommendation; Letter to members and contributors

July 30, 2012

Dear OpenStack members and contributors,

One of the first important tasks for the OpenStack Foundation Board of
Directors, once elected, is to appoint the first Executive Director of
the Foundation. The Executive Director will act as Chief Executive
Officer of the Foundation and shall, subject to the direction of the
Board of Directors, have general supervision, direction and control of
the business and the officers of the Foundation.

In anticipation of the Foundation being formed and the Board being
appointed and elected, and in order to smooth the transition to
operating as a Foundation, the 19 companies who publicly committed to
be Platinum and Gold members formed a committee in May 2012 to conduct
a process to define a job description, invite applications, interview
candidates, and select a candidate to recommend to the Board (once
formed) for the Executive Director role.

After a diligent and inclusive process by the committee, which
included preparing and posting a comprehensive job description,
receiving and reviewing over 40 applications, and panel style
interviews of 5 short-listed candidates, the Executive Director search
committee has recommended Jonathan Bryce for the Executive Director
position.

The recommendation of Jonathan Bryce as Executive Director will be
considered at the first meeting of the Board of the Foundation,
anticipated to be held on August 28th, 2012 after the completion of
Board member appointments and elections. The process the committee
developed and used to arrive at its recommendation is outlined on this
wiki page. The job description containing a complete listing of the
job criteria and detailed job responsibilities is also contained
within this wiki page.

Sincerely,

Committee Members

Alan Clark (chair)
Boris Renski
Brian Stevens
Cliff Young
Eileen Evans
Ewan Mellor
Jim Curry
Jon Mittelhauser
Sean Roberts
Simon Anderson
Tim Bell
Todd Moore
Tristan Goode
Winston Damarillo"

It's my understanding at the first board meeting, September 7th, 2012,
a compensation committee was formed. I don't recall who makes up this
committee. It was suggested at that board meeting that there would be
a special meeting around this time frame. It seems very likely that
this is that meeting.

Best regards,
--
@lloyddewolf