[OpenStack Foundation] Individual director election needs to be better organized

Dave Neary dneary at redhat.com
Wed Sep 5 18:30:15 UTC 2012

Hi,

On 09/05/2012 06:28 PM, Vincent Untz wrote:
> The point is that it was too late to change anything when the point was
> raised. But there will be recommendations to improve things for the next
> elections.

I agree, this feels like a "close the barn door after the horse has
bolted" conversation - the rules are the rules, the means of becoming a
member was set, and we can hardly throw out members now on the grounds
that they don't meet some new standard for membership.

This kind of snuck up on me, though. I recall reading the initial
by-laws proposal and from memory there was something about an
application process, expressing an interest in the foundation, and
signing an individual membership agreement (correct me if I'm wrong),
and membership applications were to be reviewed before new members were
admitted. So it surprised me when, in practice, there was no review, and
all applicants were accepted as members.

Cheers,
Dave.

PS. Full disclosure: I'm a recently joined Red Hat employee, but haven't
been following OpenStack matters in that capacity (but I'll be posting
with a redhat.com email address from now on).

--
Dave Neary
Community Action and Impact