[OpenStack Foundation] Individual director election needs to be better organized

Dave Neary dave at neary-consulting.com
Wed Sep 5 15:50:57 UTC 2012

Hi,
On 09/05/2012 05:31 PM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Sean Chen wrote:
>> I think individual directors should be voted by contributors only, or
>> at least people with some sort of involvement with OpenStack.
>>
>> There was no doorman on voter registration, the results can be much
>> too easily skewed to be unrepresentative of the rights and interests
>> of the actual people involved.
>
> I agree that the results can be easily skewed with the current open door
> policy. That said, that's what the Foundation bylaws mandate (low bar of
> entry for Foundation members), so changing that now will probably
> require a substantial change in Foundation bylaws.

I would be afraid that if one or two parties were over-represented in
the membership this time that other corporate members will notice that,
and start an arms race for the next election cycle, and suggest that
anyone working for them can become a member. Clearly, it's not in the
best interests of the foundation to have a majority of members who have
no interest in, or association with, the project.

I'm all for a low bar for entry, but I question whether "no bar" is
setting that bar high enough.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary, Neary Consulting, Lyon, France
Email: dave at neary-consulting.com / Jabber: nearyd at gmail.com
Ph: +33 950 71 55 62 / Cell: +33 6 77 01 92 13